Search This Blog

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Why I'm a Christian


Really, it all boils down to John 3:16;

“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only son that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.”

There is almost NOTHING I would not do for my little boy. My mundane life revolves around him. The idea that God sent his son to the cross to pay for my sins and all the sins of mankind is staggering. I would undergo any torture for my son, but I wouldn’t submit him to a single hurt. So, for God to send Christ to take my place and offer me eternal life with him and his son… Well, I just don’t have the arrogance, the chutzpah, to say “Thanks, but no thanks.”

I can’t summon up the hubris to do anything other than thank him for this unimaginable sacrifice and revel in my blessings. It would be the epitome of ungratefulness to do otherwise.

If you acknowledge John 3:16, then you truly understand John a few verses later in 14:6 when he writes,

“Jesus answered, ‘I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.’”

Those two verses are the whole core of human life. God loves us. God sacrificed his Son for our sins. And if we accept that, we gain eternity with God. Everything else is window dressing.

In How Many Kings, Downhere sang:

How many kings, stepped down from their thrones?
How many lords have abandoned their homes?
How many greats have become the least for me?
How many Gods have poured out their hearts
To romance a world that has torn all apart?
How many fathers gave up their sons for me?
Only one did that for me

So, this Easter holiday, celebrate the most important event in the history of the world and acknowledge Jesus as your redeemer.

1 comment: